CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Time is War

I am officially at war with time.

For the past few months, it seems the timing in my life for just about everything has been awful. A funny anecdote to highlight my point:

This morning I woke up at 8:30 AM, as I'd intended to when I settled into bed last night and set my alarm clock. I went to the bathroom, - which is probably crawling with disease, but that's a horse of a different color, size, and shape - got dressed, brushed my teeth, washed my face, yadda yadda. I came back to my room and started packing up for Poetry class when I realized I had forgotten to make copies of my poem the day before. That was because I spent most of that day in the disgusting bathroom feeling like an eel was doing summersaults in my stomache, but that's another story. I glanced at my alarm clock, saw that it was 9:30 and went to the library to borrow the copy machine.
I got to the library, and they were having some kind of issue with the copy machine (of course) so I had to stand around and wait for the girl ahead of me to finish up before letting Joe, who works at the library, copy my poem for me. I didn't have my phone with me so I couldn't check the time, but I figured I was going to be fashionably late for class. But, in the professor's head, it probably would've been worse to show up on time but unprepared than to show up a few minutes late with everything I needed.
As soon as the copies were done I bolted up to the Powers building, where my Poetry class takes place, and I opened the door to the classroom ever so carefully in hopes of sneaking in unnoticed...
And there was no one there.
I'm not even kidding, there was no one there. Nor was there any sign at all that anyone had been there at all this morning. I vaguely wondered if I should have looked for the word Croatoan carved on a wooden beam as I wandered around the building for a few minutes, seeing if the class simply moved to a different room for some reason. I didn't find them so, aggravated, I headed back to my dorm.
I got there and noticed my neighbor Dan, who is also in my 10 AM poetry class, was on line. So I IM'd him and asked what happened with Poetry. He had no idea what I was talking about, so I explained.
There was a long pause before he replied, "Uh, Noel... It's 9:42. Class hasn't started yet."
I looked at my alarm clock and it said 10:45, as I'd expected. But I looked at my computer clock and my cell phone, and both said 9:42.
Mind you, my alarm clock and my cell phone matched last night after I set my alarm for 8:30 AM.
I grudgingly reset my alarm clock, and still managed to be late for Poetry.

In a completely related incident, 2 weeks ago I had a leadership seminar at noon. I set my alarm for 11, woke up, got ready, forgot my cellphone in my room and went to lunch at around 11:30, figuring I'd make it to leadership by noon. I got there, and it turned out to be 1. I missed a whole hour of time. Mind you, the clock was right when I went to bed.
If I didn't sleep in a loft bed with the alarm clock in a spot virtually unreachable from the floor unless you climb up to get it, I'd say my roommate was messing with me.
But, no. It's time.
What a bitch.

0 comments: