CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Cold Water, A Pool Hall, and Blood and Gore

It's Tuesday and I've more or less settled back into school after Thanksgiving break. Last Tuesday I got home at around 8:30 because I had a night class and had to be out of the dorms by 10 pm. Not having had a truly hot shower in about a week and a half, I was eager to take a long, hot bath. But when I filled up the tub, the water was disappointingly luke warm.

The next day we learned through my father's careful observation that our hot water heater was rotted, so after trying desperately all day to salvage the thing, Mom and Dad finally gave in and ventured out to Sears to get a new hot water heater. Of course, Dad didn't have enough gas in his truck, so the thing broke down just down the road from Sears. He ended up calling me about 6 times to get numbers from his cell phone (he didn't have it with him, of course) and calling a friend to come put gas in the truck and save the day. They got the water heater and all was right with the world.

Thursday we went to my aunt and uncle's house to gorge ourselves on stuffing and turkey. After my cousin Dan left to go home to his apartment we all went to a pool hall for a while.

Friday I hung out with my friend Kim. She bought me the movies Girl, Interrupted and Almost Famous - very late birthday gifts, she insisted. I watched the movie Captivity when I got home. It's a horror film starring Elisha Cuthbert and Daniel Gillies. It scared the shit out of me. The basic plot is this: Actress/model Jennifer Tree (Cuthbert) has it all: fame, beauty, a flourishing career, but all she wants is just one day to relax and be herself. She gets more than she bargained for when she is drugged and kidnapped. When she awakes she is in an unfamiliar, scary place where her captor appears dressed all in black just long enough to drug and torture her. She finds comfort in Gary (Gillies), a fellow prisoner with a few tricks up his sleeve. Despite the dire situation, the two are able to steal moments of solace and comfort together as they try to find a way out of this madness. A love story within the horror genre, this film had me chewing my nails on the edge of my seat. Suspense, mystery, gore, romance. It's all there. In the style of Saw, House of Wax (2005) and The People Under the Stairs, I'd definitely recommend this film to horror fans.

That's my vacation in a nutshell.

0 comments: